Students of YU: Sajeth Paskaran

Posted by Breanna Marcelo on July 11, 2017

A YU Perspective | Archive | Entertainment | Goings-On around York | Inside Perspectives | York Community

The Students of YU blog series highlights a cross-section of students at York University who are taking advantage of opportunities for involvement beyond their academic programs. Enjoy and be inspired by these student voices as they discuss their personal experiences and academic growth!

Meet Sajeth Paskaran, a fourth year Criminology and Political Science student who is also doing a certificate program in Emergency Management at York University. In addition to his academic studies, Sajeth is very involved with his extracurriculars and has been since his first year. He is active in the McLaughlin College Council and will be serving as its President starting in September of 2017. He has also been involved with the Criminology Society which provides academic and social support to those majoring and/or interested in Criminology. As if his schedule wasn’t already packed full with his studies and extracurricular activities, Sajeth finds time to give back to the York University community by raising awareness about mental health with organizations on campus.

This is Sajeth's photo for Students of YU

I’m really proud of where I am and who I am now. If I were to go back to my first year at university, I would never have thought that I would be in the position that I am now.

When Sajeth started university, his daily routine consisted of going to school and going home. Since most of his friends didn’t go to York, he needed to find a way to get involved and socialize. From that moment on, Sajeth made it his mission to participate in campus activities and since then, he has been a part of several York organizations. Sajeth was fortunate to meet the right people at the right time; his decision to become more involved in campus life was inspired by one of his closest friends, who encouraged him to work with the McLaughlin College student council. Still, Sajeth’s impressive self-motivation also played a role in his journey to leadership. Two years ago, he started as the Director of Events and was promoted to Vice President of Events the following year. Now, he is the President of the McLaughlin College Council. Thinking back on his advice for incoming York students, Sajeth says, “I remember in our McLaughlin agendas, I was supposed to write my own message, and something I wrote to inspire others was just to put themselves out there”.

We should make the first move, take control of our own life and go for what we want to go for.

To find more information about student groups or volunteer opportunities, go to YU Connect or the Career Centre. Participating in extracurriculars gives you a great opportunity to meet new people, have educational experiences, and make a change, so check out the many volunteer opportunities available to York students!

Breanna Marcelo
Breanna Marcelo

What's up YU Blog! It's your girl Breanna! I am a third-year student majoring in Communication Studies and English. Just a few things about me: I'm a city girl who enjoys Netflix TV shows (a little too much), travelling to new places, listening to hip hop, eating brunch, being a fashionista and petting dogs. Overall, I hope my articles inspire you and educate you!

See other posts by Breanna Marcelo